Using PoolBuilders.co.za to find local pool builders is really easy. I personally contacted four builders to quote on our pool. Of the four two companies actually turned up and provided me with a quote. This personal interaction was invaluable to me and allowed me to get a feel for the people concerned, their abilities, workload and past projects.
The two companies concerned were Pelican Pools and Swim Pool Center. Both companies have an excellent track record and are highly reputable swimming pool builders. Their pricing was reasonably similar with Pelican being around R85 000 and Swim Pool Center around R90 000. Had we been open to using a pre-moulded fibreglass shell the price would have been significantly lower but we want this pool to look as good in 20 years as it looks now.
I decided to appoint Paul from Pelican Pools to build our pool and this is what I took into account:
- History: Pelican has been around for more than 40 years under the same ownership
- Credibility: Pelican is a NSPI member and has won several NSPI awards for their pools
- Hands-on Owner: From what I could see Paul employs good people who he trusts but he is also very involved in the actual construction of the pool.
- References: I didn't call any previous customers but I have seen Paul's boards up in our area as he was building pools. The water polo at Luke's school was built by Pelican Pools so I have a very real example of his workmanship.
- Workload: Paul did not shy away from the fact that he was very busy and that my pool would slot into several other projects that he was working on. I realise that the project would take a little longer but I am willing to be reasonable in order to get a quality product.
After signing the contact with Paul he starts right away with 50% of the contract value being payable after the gunite pool shell is in place, before the laying of the tiles. The final 50% payment is due on completion and filling of the pool. The cost to fill te pool is for our expense.
The quote includes the breaking up and removal of the old swimming pool shell but I think it is a waste to destroy a fully functional swimming pool so I put the pool on Gumtree.